NetApp AutoSupport is Evolving
Category : NetApp
Those eagle-eyed NetApp users among you may have noticed that there have been a few changes to NetApp’s Support site recently. Namely, the introduction of Active IQ. This blog post focuses on Active IQ, the new services and features that come with it, and the benefits they’ll bring to NetApp customers.
What is Active IQ?
Active IQ is the evolution of AutoSupport. It’s a cloud service that combines AutoSupport telemetry and My AutoSupport features with new predictive analytic capabilities across the NetApp Data Fabric. Using the AutoSupport information gathered from your Data Fabric assets, Active IQ provides proactive insights to improve availability, efficiency, and performance of your storage systems and help you optimise operations across your hybrid cloud.
Active IQ is available from the Tools menu on the NetApp Support site and via a mobile app.
New features of Active IQ include:
- Customizable, responsive dashboard
- Capacity trending and forecasting that lets you know when you need more storage
- One-click lookup for your systems, sites, groups, and clusters
- Workload tagging
- Improved visibility for case tracking and trending
What’s the Big Deal About Active IQ?
Active IQ offers a set of advanced data services that deliver analytics, insights, and advisories based on community wisdom from NetApp’s massive user base that it’s built up over the last 20 years.
AutoSupport telemetry feeds data into Active IQ from all these Data Fabric endpoints: AltaVault, FlexPod, SolidFire, NetApp HCI, FAS, AFF, ONTAP Cloud, ONTAP Select, E-Series, and StorageGRID—so pretty much all NetApp products are covered. It also feeds information from other data fabric assets such as OnCommand.
Active IQ leverages machine learning to teach the telemetry system new patterns, so it’s continually learning and adapting to your evolving environments.
As Active IQ is a cloud-based service, you’ll be able to keep on top on the health and efficiency of your systems anywhere, anytime, from any device.
Using information from your systems, Active IQ can:
- Recommend upgrades for ONTAP systems and provide upgrade plans
- Proactively identify system risks related to configuration issues or known bugs
- Provide configuration, capacity, efficiency, and performance views and reports for better management of your NetApp systems
- Predict storage growth to identify capacity addition needs
Note: You’ll need to enable AutoSupport on your storage systems to receive the benefits of Active IQ.
New and Improved Discovery Dashboard
The Active IQ Discovery Dashboard has been improved to provide a customisable and more responsive experience.
- Product portfolio inventory
- One-click capacity and contract renewal
- New storage efficiency recommendations
- Performance hot spots
- Health summary and trends
- Storage efficiency and risk advisory services
- Upgrade recommendations
- Link to guided problem solving and chat (integrated with Elio with IBM Watson™)
- Summary of cases
- Performance hot spot – coming soon
Even the Mobile App Got a Facelift!
The new Active IQ mobile app replaces the My AutoSupport app and is available for both iOS and Android platforms. If you’ve already installed the app, it’s likely that it’s updated itself, so you won’t have to download it again.
Some new features in the app include:
- One tap for:
- Capacity additions
- Mobile chat (powered by IBM Watson)
- Email for mobile app support
- View installed base and system details
- Sites, clusters, and systems
- AutoSupport data and top sections
- View proactive recommendations
- Storage efficiency
- ONTAP upgrades
- System risks
- Digital support content and capabilities
- View and update case notes
- Guided problem solving
You can also quickly locate systems through recent searches and add favourites. Be sure to regularly update, because this app is sure to get better and better as time goes on.
So, Why Do I Think You Need Active IQ?
SolidFire customers have benefited from Active IQ for some time now and it’s great to see it ported to all NetApp systems. Allowing you to track your entire NetApp ecosystem in real-time is a real value add. The continuous proactive monitoring and diagnosis of your systems, and improved tools, will enable support to be delivered much more rapidly than ever before, and should ensure clusters are maintained and operated at the highest possible level of availability and performance. Furthermore, Active IQ is available at no extra charge for all NetApp customers under support.
Learn more about how Active IQ is leading the charge for NetApp’s data-driven evolution by watching this new overview video.
Author: Dave Brown